It has recently come to my attention that on Jan. 5th of this year, Mr. C. O'Brien hosted the CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2005 keynote presentation in Las Vegas, featuring the world's richest man in the world, Bill Gates.
Even on paper, this had all the ingredients of a wreck:
- an hour-long interview with a hand-rubbing, charmless, disconnected billionaire
- a geeky geeky (as opposed to hip geeky) business-conference audience
- a cavernous venue
- the fact that the whole thing is basically a Microsoft infomercial
- creepy, painfully cheap replication of Late Night, in both format and presentation, and
- the almost inevitable failed product demonstration in which his own products make Bill Gates look foolish (see video snippet here) - to his credit, Conan does take full advantage of the awkwardness
So, if you would like to experience it in its full car-crashingest glory, click here for the 100k or 300k video - Conan comes in at around the 6:20 mark (for those time- or broadband-challenged, you can read the transcript but that does reduce the impact somewhat).